Saturday, June 18, 2011

One Down(ish), Four To Go.

Strike is tonight... It's interesting to think that just two weeks ago I first arrived at Canterbury, being dropped off by Michael and his husband, Jon.  Hell, three weeks ago I was in Belgrade, Serbia!  This summer will be a roller coaster of new experiences, challenges, friends, and, hopefully, a little fun too.  We just peaked the first dropped and plummeted down the other side.  Wrong Turn at Lungfish closes tonight.  We strike after this final performance and begin the load in for Romance, Romance.

I'm a little excited and a little scared.  Romance, Romance opens Wednesday... my first realized lighting design.  It's interesting that's professional work...even more so because I didn't realize I was lighting designer for four shows this summer until I arrived on June 6th.  I knew there was a possibility of me designing some, depending on what skills other employees had.  But I didn't expect to design almost the entire season.  But I'm not complaining.  It's a good thing.  It's a great opportunity, actually.  I likely would have talked myself out of similar opportunities in the future, but now I know (okay, well I assume at this point...but whatever) that I can do this, I am capable of making this my future.

I desire to teach at a collegiate and/or post-graduate level - eventually.  I want to get real world experience, and this is a great start to that.  Graduate school is in the picture - where I'm not sure, when I'm not sure.  I pretty sure I want focus on Technical Direction.  Secondary skills I would like to develop beyond that are Sound Design and Lighting Design...Scenic would be interesting, but I'll need a bet--

There I go again.  "I need a better teacher before I can do..." X.  Fuck that shit.  If my sound design experiences have taught me anything, experience is the best teacher.  What I need is to develop skills - conceptualization, drawing, sketching, painting, drafting, verbal picturization.  Beyond that, I just have to create, get constructive criticism and feedback, and learn form my experiences.  Look - commercialization is good for something!  I just need to follow Nike's slogan: "Just do it!" 

It even matches the theme of this blog, how about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment